Sentimental Journey has Emmy singing cover's of old school tunes. The three standout tracks on the album for me were 'Pretty Paper', 'Summer Wind' and the title track 'Sentimental Journey'. One can grow tired of listening to dub step and auto tune music, its good to get some traditional pop sounds in my head. I'm probably going on a limb here but I'd even like to think she's the female version of Michael Buble with her music.
Here is the track listing for the album:
- “Sentimental Journey” (Les Brown, Ben Homer, Arthur Green)
- “The Object Of My Affection” (Pinky Tomlin)
- “I’m Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover “(Mort Dixon, Harry M. Woods)
- “These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)” (Eric Maschwitz, Jack Strachey)
- “(I’ll Be With You) In Apple Blossom Time” (Albert Von Tilzer, Neville Fleeson)
- “Summer Wind” (Heinz Meier, Johnny Mercer)
- “Many Tears Ago” (Winfield Scott)
- “All I Do Is Dream Of You” (Nacio Herb Brown, Arthur Freed)
- “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” (Jimmy Cox)
- “Autumn Leaves” (Joseph Kosma, Jacques Prévert)
- “Things” (Bobby Darin)
- “Pretty Paper” (Willie Nelson)
Rossum's cover of Summer Wind is just amazing. My favorite song from the album. I love how nostalgic she makes it sounds and her voice is just MADE for this kind of music. On a random side note for some reason every time I hear this song I think of the opening scene in the Parent Trap remake (watch if you don't know what I'm talking about).
With Rossum doing Sentimental Journey I was a little worried when I saw this on the track listing because I know this was made popular by Doris Day in the 40s and I've always personally prefered her version over any other cover done for the song but Emmy Rossum did an excellent job with her version. She makes it sound new yet retains that 40s traditional pop sound. I also feel this has a slightly more cabaret kind of feel to it that I like.
Lets be honest if you're use to dancey modern music you probably won't like this album. If you can appreciate this traditional, old school sound then I definitely suggest you check it out. I always support an artist who doesn't do what is popular and does what they think sounds goods. Sentimental Journey gets released January 29th, 2013. Go here to pre-order it on iTunes.
*I participated in this campaign for One2One Network. I received a free copy of the CD to facilitate my review. By posting, I am eligible for incentives. All opinions stated are my own.