Saturday, December 15, 2012

My Top 10 Favorite Songs of 2012

Let me let this be known now, I'm just not into a lot of newer music, I rather listen some classic rock, or old school R&B or something. Of course the year hasn't ended yet but here are the songs so far. However, inevitably I always end up liking a few songs every year and here are ten songs from 2012 that have managed to get past my metaphorical musical wall that says "No New Music Allowed". In no particular order:

1) Children by V.V. Brown. From the very day I heard this song I've been obsessed. With a sample of "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" this definitely gives you a nostalgic feel. Its one of those songs where its catchy but you don't feel too ashamed of listening to it. To top off the already amazing song, rapper Chiddy of Chiddy Bang.
He just makes the song that much better with his lines "Watching the TV, man, kids just want to be famous and be a big star, rather be known than be nameless If I had my away, I'd draw it all up again Can't take a loss, we must stood up and win Momma was hurting and she couldn't spend a penny more But why nobody have real dreams anymore Forget the issues and worries this is something about Supporting optimistic dreams when it's crumbling down".

2) Stars by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Stars is one of those songs to me that you can just close your eyes and listen to the song and you feel as though you're outside in the night with fireflies flickering and you're just wanting to be with that one you love. Her voice is just absolutely perfect for the song as well the instrumental arrangement.

3) Push and Shove by No Doubt. No Doubt I feel, is one of those bands where you love them or hate them but if you love them you're a loyal fan. I have been waiting forever for a new No Doubt album and when I heard Push and Shove I was happy that they had a good comeback. They don't rock out like they did during the 'Tragic Kingdom' era but this songs Ska-Reggae feel with a hint of dubstep (let it be known I'm not a huge dubstep kind of guy) is amazing.

4) Candlelight by Paul Cook and the Chronicles. I wrote a blog about this guy before and how much I am just a hardcore fan of this song and how
it just does so much for me. I just love his voice. I love the sort of ambient, relaxing feel to it. My mornings are not complete without listening to this song at least 5 times!

5) High For This (PatrickReza Dubstep Remix) by Ellie Goulding. I'm not even sure this was ever released as a single or anything or if it is official but this song is great in every way. This song is a cover of the song by The Weeknd and I heard the regular version and I thought to myself that can't be topped, then I stumbled upon the PatrickReza dubstep remix version and my mind was blown again. Like earlier I said, I'm just not a big dubstepper but this song was perfect in every way and I love Ellie Goulding's chilling mysterious sounding voice making you want to know whats in store for you as you listen to the song.

6) Come Back Down by Greg Laswell. Definitely one of the best vocal combinations ever. Greg Laswell has this sort of solid rocker kind of voices and the song features Sara Bareilles in this sort of combination of solid rocker voice with this angelic voice. Has this real powerful vibe to it and the lyrics to this song are just amazing I feel.

7) Losing You by Solange. I heard this song and was just thinking to myself how much more amazing can this girl be. This song has one of those retro beats you'd hear at a restaurant with an 80s music jukebox. I know this girl can sing to so I'm happy she didn't do one of those things that some artists do where they know they can sing so they overdue it on a song that doesn't need it. Every time she sings "I'm not the one you should be making your enemy" it just makes me happy.

8) Daughters by Nas. No this song is not one of those unrealistic songs about just how much an artist loves their daughters...well sort of. This is just
a realistic song about the highs and lows of raising his daughter and fatherhood.He doesn't make it seem like its a bad job to be a father but in the same he doesn't make it seem like a campy TV sitcom. Real lyrics with a great beat, Nas always delivers.

9) Believe by Safetysuit. Just listen to this song once and you will be hooked. The lead singers voice is just amazing in a way reminds me of Freddie Mercury. On a side note their album 'Life Left to Go' is one of my all time favorite albums. Its one of those songs that just build up and you get to the end and you feel you haven't gotten enough of it and you have to replay the song over and over.

10) Anywhere In The World by Mark Ronson & Katy B. I saw this song when they had the summer Olympics. I'm not going to lie the beat alone does it for me. Mark Ronson always knows how to do a good collaboration which is why I decided to fully listen to the song.

Special Mentions:

Circling by Tord Gustavsen Quartet
I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz
Black Gold by Esperanza Spalding

No comments:

Post a Comment